Do you want to learn how to change YouTube name?
When you first created your YouTube account, you might have chosen a name that is just not relevant to your current content. Your name could well be holding you back in terms of subscribers and even how many people are able to find your content.
Perhaps you want to completely reinvent yourself on the platform but without starting another channel, which is completely understandable. There are many reasons why you might want to change name on YouTube and the reasoning behind it doesn’t really matter that much.
What is important is that you can do it, so if you see a benefit in doing so – you should definitely take that important step.
If you have been wondering how to change YouTube name, you’ve come to the right place. Here you can get the full down on a few different ways how to do it and you can also discover a method that will not affect your Google account.
The step by step instructions should make the process really easy for you so once you’ve thought of a new channel name, you can do it easily. Without further ado, it’s time to dive right in and discover how to change YouTube channel name super-quickly and easily.
How to Change YouTube Name
- Start by logging into your YouTube account and clicking on “settings”, which should be on a drop-down menu on the right side of your screen.
- On the account tab on settings, click “edit on Google”. All your accounts are integrated together and pressing this will allow you to change your name on all the different platforms.
- You will then need to enter your new YouTube channel name. If it is slightly longer, make sure that you split it amongst the first name and last name boxes.
- When you’ve written your new name, you will see the change reflected under “display my name as”, and you then just need to press OK before confirming the change.
How to Change YouTube Name From Google
Your Google account and YouTube account are connected so the following steps will tell you how to change YouTube name through Google, which might be a more convenient option for you.
- Sign in to your Google account from the Google homepage.
- On the top right, click on your name/profile picture and then onto “Manage your Google Account”.
- You will then see an option that says “personal info”. Click on your “personal info” and you will then see an option for “Name”. Click on it.
- You will then see your name displayed so click on the pencil icon to edit it.
- Type in your new name that you want on your Google AND YouTube account before clicking the done button. You will then need to confirm the change again before the change takes full effect.
Change Your Name on YouTube But Not on Google
If you want to change name on Youtube but not Google, you can definitely do that. It does take a little more effort but if you really don’t want to change your Google information, it is worth doing. Let’s take a look at the steps required, below.
- You first need a YouTube brand account and you need to link your YouTube account to it. There are so many benefits to making a YouTube brand account and you should definitely look into that in more detail.
- Once you’ve created a YouTube brand account with the name of your choice, you then need to pair your YouTube account with it.
How to Create a YouTube Brand account
- Log into your YouTube account as you usually do and click on “settings”.
- Then click on “View advanced settings”
- You will then be taken to a new page where you should click on “Move channel to a brand account”.
- There will then be a space for you to enter your brand account name, which you should do so before pressing enter.
Mistakes to Avoid When Changing Your YouTube Name
Although it is quite a straight-forward process, some people make mistakes when changing their YouTube name and it is really important that you do not do that.
An easy transition means less stress and hopefully more subscribers too.
There are some things you need to be aware of when you change name on YouTube and these are as follows.
You can Only Change Your YouTube Name Three Times Every 90 days
There is a limit on how often you can change your YouTube channel name and rightly so. If you make a mistake at the beginning and give your YouTube account a name that you want to change, that is fair enough but don’t let it happen too often.
It does not look professional and it might also stop past viewers from being able to find your channel as easily as what they could have done. There is no reason to want to change your YouTube name too often, so don’t let it happen.
Don’t Change too Much/Sway From Your Brand
When you change your name on YouTube, it is really important that you do not sway too much away from your brand. The name of your channel should ideally tell people what your channel is all about.
Trying to completely remodel your brand is not recommended, particularly if you had a larger following before, because customers might get confused and not even know that they are interacting with the same brand.
Don’t Make Your New Name Overly Complicated
People are much more likely to notice and subscribe to a channel that has a short and snappy name and there are some things you should be aware of when you are searching how to change YouTube channel name.
Speaking of bad YouTube names, you should definitely stay away from anything that has numbers in it.
Studies have shown that customers struggle to remember company names that include numbers, which is definitely NOT what you want. Think of your favorite channels on YouTube and how their account name stands out to you the most.
Coming up with good youtube names is key for your success in the longterm. But don’t overcomplicate it.
Don’t Forget to Change Your Description/Logo/Cover photo
When you change your channel name on YouTube, don’t forget to change the rest of the details on the account to reflect this change. This might mean changing the description on your account, your logo/cover photo and so on.
It is really important to be consistent throughout your YouTube account, it shows how consistent you are and it’s just more aesthetically pleasing. Make sure you have everything you need ready before you actually change your YouTube name and other details.
The information in this article should have answered your question of how to change YouTube channel name.
If you’re still in doubt and confused on how to change your YouTube name don’t forget that you can visit the YouTube support page here.
Or you can watch this video.
While your YouTube and Google account are linked, there is a method to change just your YouTube name account, which you can find information for on the third point above.
While having high-quality content is the most important thing in building your social media platform, the little details are important too including the name of your account.
Latest posts by Stefano C. (see all)
- How to Add a YouTube Subscribe Button to Your Videos - April 14, 2020
- How to Make a YouTube Video - April 14, 2020
- How to Make Money Vlogging - March 22, 2020